A lot of people know the benefits of cycling, but not many know the benefits of cycling with the family. In a previous post I touched on the merits of cycling, even for grandparents.
Many ardent cyclists reduce their cycling a great deal, and others stop altogether as their family grows. This is wrong. You should start cycling as a family as early as possible. Your children and husband can derive numerous benefits from cycling, and it is one of those activities that can bring your whole family together, and get you together for fun for years to come.
Why is it important to start early?
- Cycling helps improve your postnatal fitness. It will help reduce cellulite and tone your buttocks and thighs.
- It helps relieve stress and is great for your mental attitude.
- It is a great way to build a relationship with your young ones.
- It is also a great way to introduce your children to a healthy activity lifestyle.
Benefits of cycling for kids
Experts recommend 60 minutes of physical activity each day for your children. If your children are like most, they don’t get anywhere near this recommended amount of activity. Investing in bikes for your children is a good way to solve this problem, but there are other benefits as well.
- It has been proven that children who cycle to school are more alert and receptive to learning than those driven to school. If they continue the same habits they will get the benefits of the bike scheme initiatives being pushed by Governments.
- Cycling is a great way to get the kids to go out and enjoy the fresh air, as it is seen by them as more fun than even the video consoles; well sometimes anyway.
- It is a great way to introduce children to their immediate environment and help them feel part of a community.
- It helps them develop a healthy habit that could last a lifetime, and help them reduce their carbon footprint in years to come.
- Cyclists don’t breathe in as much pollution from traffic compared to car drivers and their passengers. This means your children will inhale far lesser toxic fumes while out and about than those that do not cycle.
Health benefits of cycling for you and your husband
- Cycling is great for improving your metabolic rate, slowing that middle-age spread. It offers a cheap and easy way to burn calories and stay fit.
- It is good for the heart. You only need to take a look at the number of people that die each year as a result of heart problems to understand the importance cycling could play in keeping you healthy!
- As regular cyclists, both of you could look fitter than non-cyclists, maybe even 10 years younger! How could you say no to that?
These are some of the benefits of a cycling culture for your family. Everyone will stay fit and healthy, your children will learn a healthy habit they will be grateful for in future, and your family will contribute its bit to making the world a healthier place.
Ok now… I’ve got flats. Where is the pump?