Just because your outdoor furniture was made for the outdoors, it doesn’t mean you should neglect it. Like any item, if you want to keep it longer, you should take good care of it. Outdoor furniture also comes in different types of quality wood which means one will require a different type of maintenance from the other. You can usually find the care and maintenance instructions in the manual that comes with the furniture.
You also need to consider the season; leaving your furniture out in the open during the different seasons is going to result in it wearing out easily. That’s pouring money down the drain. We all know quality outdoor furniture is an investment so it only makes sense to take the right steps to taking care of it.
In this article, we share with you tips on caring for your outdoor furniture so that it lasts throughout the seasons.
- During summer months, keep your furniture as clean and dry as possible and try to keep it away from harsh sunlight. If they’re wet, dry them out in the sun first before putting them inside. Leaving water to soak in your outdoor furniture will cause it to crack and break sooner.
- Do a regular clean-up of your outdoor furniture and pick off the leaves and twigs that’s fallen on the seats and table tops. You can do light cleaning every week and deeper cleaning at every start and end of each season.
- Avoid cleaning your outdoor furniture with a pressure washer and harsh chemicals as this will actually do more damage. Instead, just use a garden hose and a gentle cleaner for washing the furniture.
- Using sandpaper, scrub the difficult to remove stains in the direction of the wooden grain. Make sure to wear gloves and throw away the materials used after cleaning.
- If you’re not going to use your outdoor furniture for a long time, store it inside or cover with cloth. Outdoor furniture in Brisbane from Outdoorfurnitureonline.com.au are given this treatment so as to preserve their quality.
- Come winter season, outdoor furniture should be placed indoors. It can be in your shed, garage, or even under a tarp. If you live in an area where the winter season can be harsh, it’s recommended that you store your furniture indoors. Make sure to clean it first or have it repaired before putting it away.
- For old and worn out wooden outdoor furniture, use a cleaning solution like Cutek Quickclean to restore it back to its original look again. If you have no idea how to use Cutek Quickclean and you’d rather not do more damage to your furniture if you attempted it yourself, you can consult with an expert on wooden furniture or hire one to do it for you.
- If you’d rather not wait for your outdoor furniture to rot, you can cover it with sealant. The sealant will not only protect it from harsh conditions but also preserve the colour. Apply the sealant after every few years by washing, sanding, and reapplying it. If you’re not sure which sealant to use, you may call the manufacturer as they might have recommendations on which sealant works best with your outdoor furniture.
- Remove any dirt or bird droppings on your furniture as soon as you see them. Leaving them on longer can damage your furniture and leave permanent stains.
Those are just some basic maintenance tips to help make your outdoor furniture last. Any of you have outdoor furniture that has lasted you for more than a decade? Share us your care and maintenance tips in the comments!